Grilled Shrimp, Corn, and Jicama Salad

It sounded too simple of a meal, and I felt like celebrating. Not celebrating anything in particular.... only summer perhaps. So I spiced up the jicama with some lime, cayenne, and champagne vinegar, and I made a simple garlic-lime-cilantro butter for the corn. Throw in some of my favorite Bulgarian feta, and it was a celebration of all things fresh and vibrant -- all things that summer truly is.

I simply made the jicama salad and garlic-lime-cilantro butter and let them marinate briefly while I steamed the corn and grilled the shrimp quickly. Crumble some feta, and viola, celebration of summer in 30 minutes.

Jicama Salad
1 medium jicama, julienned (I used my mandolin)
1 green pepper, chopped
handful of chopped cilantro
1/4 c. lime juice
1/4 c. champagne vinegar (feel free to substitute red wine vinegar)
1 tsp. sugar or splenda
2 tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Mix jicama, pepper, and cilantro in a large bowl. Combine all other ingredients in a separate bowl, and stir well. Pour dressing over jicama, mix, and let sit for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Garlic-lime-cilantro Butter
4 tbs. room-temperature butter
1 tbs. finely chopped cilantro
juice of 1/2 a lime
2 garlic cloves (or more for the BAM!)

Mix ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with corn and shrimp (or chicken or fish or scallops, etc).

0 comments: