Tofu, Indonesian Red Rice, and Sauteed Rainbow Chard


So, no CSA this year. We felt it was simply too much of a commitment, too many veggies gone bad... However, I recently switched jobs, and one of the major selling points of the new position is its location: Vermont Ave directly north of the White House. This exact spot turns into Michelle Obama's farmers market each Thursday. So, in order for me to simply cross the street and get to the metro, I must traverse stands of fresh veggies, fresh fruit, fresh cheese, the bakery stand, the bison meat people, and the empanadas corner. Needless to say, when the job was offered, I snatched up the opportunity to have this be my new Thursday commute!

This week, with my few single dollars in hand (I need to start carrying more cash!), I picked out a beautiful bunch of rainbow chard. I carried this bounty home on the train, and decided to go Asian tonight -- STIR-FRY! This also gave me the chance to try out the red rice that I brought back from the terraced rice paddies of Central Bali on our honeymoon in Indonesia.

First, I was sure to pick through the rice. I had to get out all of the little stones, the little reed bits, and anything else that hitched a ride back from Asia with my rice. This was not the perfectly clean rice that comes in a bag in the grocery store. I also rinsed the rice with fresh water twice to get rid of the starch and dirt. I mixed the cup of dry rice with two cups of water, a tsp of butter, and a pinch of salt, brought to a boil on high, and then left at a simmer on low for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, I turned the heat off, and let the rice stand in its own steam for another 15 minutes, until everything else was ready. This was how they cooked riz de' pays (country rice) in Guinea, West Africa, and I didn't know any other way besides reading a label. Good thing though, because it worked like a charm!

While the rice was cooking, I cubed the extra firm tofu and sauteed it in 2 tbs. of olive oil. This takes patience. Turning too frequently or taking off the heat too early will leave the tofu mushy. The goal is to acheive a golden brown crisp exterior, which makes all the difference.

I also rinsed and chopped the rainbow chard, separating the colorful stalk from the leaves in separate bowls. I chopped a small knob of ginger (maybe 1") and a few cloves of garlic. I heated up some olive oil on medium heat, sauteed the ginger and garlic for a couple of minutes until fragrant, and added the chopped chard stalk. After two minutes, I added the leaves, which take less time to cook. After 3-5 more minutes, it was ready.

Before serving, I mixed in a quick Asian sauce I stirred up. You can use a bottled teriyaki or hoisin or oyster or just good soy sauce. I mixed up Braggs Liquid Aminos, some tamari, some rice wine vinegar, a tsp of grainy mustard, and some sriracha for mine. I wish I could tell you the amounts of each, but I just keep building and adding until it tastes right. So, I have no clue. Pour in a couple of tablespoons with the tofu and continue to sautee for a minute or two. Do the same for the chard, and you're good to go.

0 comments: