Seared Tuna with Lime-Scape Tapenade over Black Beans


It was a less fruitful week for our CSA share, as the heavy, heavy rains of April and May that washed away a number of seedlings are finally showing their effects. However, we got garlic scapes again! How did I live in a world without garlic scapes?! So, for the second week in a row, I again ask, "What do you do with a garlic scape?"

Well, this week, we whipped up a yummy Lime-Scape tapenade with queso fresco and cilantro to serve over seared tuna with a black bean/corn mix and sliced avocado on the side. It was a fun new idea, and it turned out to be one of the prettiest dishes I have posted up here.

Ingredients:
7 garlic scapes
1 tsp lime zest
2 tbs fresh lime juice
1/4 c. olive oil
2 tbs. cilantro
2 oz. queso fresco
5 grape tomatoes
salt/pepper to taste

2 sashimi grade tuna steaks, about 6 oz. each
olive oil for searing

1 small sweet onion, sliced
1 c. corn kernels (canned or fresh)
1 can of black beans, rinsed
1 jalapeno
2 tbs. cilantro chopped

1 avocado, sliced, and drizzled with lime juice to keep from browning


I started by throwing the chopped garlic scapes, olive oil, cilantro, lime zest, and lime juice in the food processor. After pureeing, I added the queso fresco and a handful of grape tomatoes. I let the food processor truly pulverize this, as the garlic scapes were pretty tough and fibrous. I set aside the tapenade for serving time.

I then sauteed the sliced onion in olive oil until soft, added the jalapeno for a minute, then added the black beans, corn, and cilantro to warm.










Lastly, I heated olive oil over a high heat until almost smoking. I seasoned the tuna steaks lightly with salt and pepper, and threw them in the pan to sear. I cooked the steaks for about 2-3 minutes on each side, leaving the tuna rare inside.

I scooped the corn/black bean mix onto a plate. Topped with a tuna steak, I spooned over the tapenade, crumbled some queso fresco on top, and placed avocado slices on the side. It was so pretty!




















With this meal, we had a very light white wine - Rene Barbier's Mediterranean White, which is a blend of Spanish grape varietals. It's fruity with a light acidity, and right within our budget at under $7 a bottle. It's the perfect summer wine--refreshing and crisp. Overall, another great CSA Tuesday!

0 comments: