Saag Tofu

My husband noticed something funny about me -- I like leaf sauces. All leaf sauces. My favorite sauce as a Peace Corps volunteer in Guinea was sweet potato leaf sauce. My favorite pasta sauce is always a pesto, and my order of choice at any Indian restaurant is saag paneer. Here's my quick and lazy home version of saag, which I make with tofu (sort of a substitute for paneer).

1 block of extra firm tofu, cut into bite-sized pieces
cooking oil spray
large bag of frozen spinach, thawed
1-2 tbs. curry powder
1-2 tsp. garam massala
1/2 tsp. ginger powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper and/or crushed red pepper (and add more if you like it HOT!)
1 cup plain lowfat yogurt or half a can of lite coconut milk

Heat a pan on medium-high and spray generously with cooking oil spray. Add tofu, and saute until golden, stirring occasionally. Be patient, and really let it get toasty. Be more patient. Yes, it takes awhile (maybe 30 minutes). Add spinach and spices, and simmer on low for 20 minutes. At the last moment, stir in the yogurt or coconut milk. Serve over rice or bulgur (my husband's preference).

And look elsewhere on this blog for other leaf sauces!

0 comments: