Tempeh, Beet, and Valdeon Salad with Orange-Balsamic Reduction


During a weekend trip to NJ for my 10 year high school reunion, Reid and I stopped at one of my favorite places on Earth, Delicious Orchards of Colts Neck, NJ. Without much thought of what we would do with them, Reid picked up beautiful beets with their long greens still attached. Tonight, to thank my honey for taking the trip with me to my high school reunion, I decided to do something fun with the beets.

I basically just roasted the beets and served them over a bed of field greens, topped with an OJ-balsamic reduction, sauteed tempeh, and Valdeon (a Spanish blue cheese), and served the salad with a hard ciabatta roll on the side. Yum!

Ingredients:

1 small vidala onion
olive oil
1 block of tempeh, crumbled
salt and pepper
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
4 purple or golden beets
mixed field greens
1/4 lb. Valdeon (or any other blue you like)

Cut greens off of beets 1" from root. Set aside greens to use another day. Scrub and quarter beets. Place them in a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss and bake for 30-45 minutes at 375 degrees, until tender.

Meanwhile, saute chopped onion in 1 tbs. olive oil slowly to caramelize. Turn up the heat, add tempeh and a splash of balsamic. Saute tempeh until brown.

Mix 1/2 cup of vinegar and OJ concentrate in small pan and simmer on low for 10 minutes until reduced to a thick syrup.

Serve beets, tempeh, and onions over a bed of field greens, drizzle lightly with reduction, and top with crumbled Valdeon.
_______________
ps - I apologize for not having pictures of the final salad. I was so hungry, we ate without remembering to photograph!

0 comments: