Asparagus Soup

Tonight, a cold blustery evening, I was in the mood for something warm and fuzzy. At the same time though, I didn't want anything too rich or heavy, and of course, I wanted it to be vegetarian if possible and uber-healthy.

Asparagus soup with golden crostini fit the bill perfectly, so I stopped at Whole Foods on the way home and picked up two giant bunches of asparagus. I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to make this soup, but I figured I would give it a try. This is what happened:

Asparagus Soup

2 lb. fresh asparagus, chopped into 1" lengths
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 c. veggie broth
2.5 c. veggie broth
3 c. skim milk
3 tbs. butter
2 tbs. corn starch mixed into 1/4 c. warm water
1.5 tbs. lemon juice
1 c. fat-free plain yogurt
1/2 c. grated Parmesan

In a large pot over medium-high heat, steam the onion and asparagus in the first cup of broth for 5 minutes until the asparagus is slightly tender and the onion is translucent. Add the milk and other 2.5 c. broth and reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, until asparagus is soft. Turn heat off, then puree with an immersion blender.

Bring soup back to a simmer, add the butter and the corn starch in water. Stir well to make sure there are no clumps from the corn starch. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. When ready to serve, add lemon juice, stir in yogurt, and season with salt and pepper. Do not leave simmering too long, as it will lose its beautiful green hue. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan.
salt and pepper to taste

0 comments: