Tomatillo Goodness

As part of our Community Supported Agriculture Share, I received beautiful tomatillos last week. At least I was told they were tomatillos (I had never seen one whole before). Little did I know how easy it was to make a fresh roasted tomatillo salsa! Last night, I served the salsa with shrimp tacos--colorful tortillas full of black beans, corn, shrimp, tomato, avocado, and salsa. So yummy!

I based my recipe on Rick Bayless' recipe from the Top Chef's website. With a few changes, this is what I came up with:

10 medium tomatillos, cut in halves
1-2 chopped jalapenos, seeds removed
5 cloves of garlic
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 c. cilantro
Pam spray

First, I husked and rinsed the tomatillos. They have a strange sticky coating on them, so I rinsed well. I cut them in half, and broiled the tomatillos on a baking sheet with a quick spray of Pam. It took about 10 minutes to brown one side, and I flipped and let the other side blister and brown as well. Then, I sauteed the chopped jalapenos and garlic in a spray of Pam, and added all of the ingredients to the food processor. I zipped it around until it was the right consistency, and viola! Best salsa ever.














0 comments: